Beware of Flies





This week I would like to talk about a disease I came across while I was at work last week called Myiasis. This disease is quite disgusting compared to the ones discussed in my previous posts. Myiasis is an infection of the skin by developing fly larvae otherwise known as maggots. Myiasis can occur in several different parts of the body. Some of the most common sites of infection include the nose, sinuses, pharynx, eyes, both small and large intestines, and genitals. The Pathology of human infection differs depending on the type of type of fly and the mode of infection. Some of the common myiatic flies are the botfly, blowfly, and screwfly.


The type of Myiasis that I came across while at work was cutaneous myiasis. Cutaneous myiasis is myiasis affecting the skin. There are three types of cutaneous myiasis, furuncular myiasis, wound myiasis, and migratory myiasis. Furuncular myiasis is mainly caused by the botfly. Botflies lay their eggs on insects such as mosquitos, and when the mosquito takes a blood meal from a human the eggs are deposited in the individual’s skin. Wound myiasis is typically seen in homeless individuals. Wound myiasis occurs when a poorly treated or open wound is infected with fly larvae. Once the larvae hatch, they begin to feed on both necrotic and healthy tissue of the infected individual. Migratory myiasis is most commonly seen in animals such as horses and cattle. However, humans can also become infected by coming in contact with an infected animal. Migratory myiasis occurs when fly larvae are planted on top of the skin of a potential host. Once the larvae hatch they burrow under the skin causing ulcers.


There are a few key symptoms that are associated with cutaneous myiasis depending on the contracted form. When an individual has contracted furuncular myiasis they experience furuncular lesions with surrounding inflammation, prickly heat sensations accompanied by excessive itching, and sharp stabbing pains. Individuals with wound myiasis experience fever, chills, bleeding form infection site, and several secondary infections. Migrating myiasis results in symptoms of mobile inflammatory papules, a sensation of movement, and extreme burning.

How do you treat cutaneous Myiasis? It depends on the severity of the infection. Depending on the location of the larvae, some larvae can be extracted by applying pressure around the lesion. The most common mode of treatment of cutaneous myiasis requires surgical removal of larvae by enlarging the area of infestation and extraction with forceps.  Antibiotics can also be used when treating wound myiasis. A topical administration of 1% ivermectin in propylene glycol after extensive debridement of the wound aids in the healing process.
Links: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3255963/
https://www.dermnetnz.org/topics/cutaneous-myiasis


























 

Comments

  1. The two pictures shown are absolutely insane. I have seen quite a bit of this since it circulates on the internet a lot due to its absurd and frankly, gross visuals. I am always curious at how cases like the two shown, although that is likely why the homeless are usually the ones with such intense infections.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I saw this on Facebook before. It is SO crazy. This post was very interesting, I did not know anything about it until today! Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seeing the picture at first hand made me not want to read your blog! However, I was really curious about how such a thing can happen because I have seen them in the internet. I can't imagine how you can see that in person. I definitely learned a lot, great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am extremely excited to see this! I came across a post about this bot flies on Facebook where they were popping the larva out of a dog. I was so interested that the rest of the day I was showing people and looking up other videos on YouTube. If you haven't gotten the chance to watch removal videos, you definitely should check it out. I had no idea that this was an actual disease.. now I can look up videos on this disease! Thanks for the information!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was not expecting those pictures! I'm already kind of freaked out by bugs and this only makes it worse. I've also seen videos of dogs infested with bot flies and I've always found them interesting. Great research and an interesting blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I'm going to be sleeping anytime soon.... Assuming the cases in the pictures were extreme, how long were they left untreated? Overall great post because it definitely caught my attention.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Parasitic Twinning

Phantom Limb Pains, second post

Hemodialysis, second post